Getting away from the workload and all real-life complications are what a person needs to relax. People who love adventure choose bikes to travel. The zeal of travelling on motorcycles is of another level.
Whenever you travel on a motorcycle, there are few things you need to take care of. The foremost thing you need to pay attention to are, the bike tyres.
In this blog, we’ll be telling you about the tips to choose ideal motorcycle tyre for your adventure bike. Before, you get on board with us, you need to know the basic information about tyres.
A bike tyre usually has four types –
1. Tube type tyre- These have a tube in which air is filled and if it gets punctured the air leaves the tube briskly causing imbalance while driving.
2. Tubeless tyre- In these types of tyres, the tube is connected directly through the rim. Such a setup creates an airtight seal due to which the air finds it a little difficult to get into the surroundings.
3. Bias-ply tyre- A bias-ply tyre has multiple plies overlapped with each other in a criss-cross manner. The arrangement becomes thicker which leads to overheating. The riding comfort is less due to less flexibility of bias-ply tyres.
4. Radial tyre – The plies in radial type tyre overlap each other at different angles.
These are more flexible and do not pass flexes to treads resulting in a comfortable ride.
Each of these types has their own importance and are used in different situations, taking care of locations you travel to. So, here are the things you need to keep in mind while choosing ideal bike tyres.
1. A tyre’s compounds –
Tyres play a major role when it comes to motorcycle accessories. The grip of a tyre depends on the material used to make it. You need to know the terrain you are travelling to and then accordingly choose the tyres. The acknowledgement of the material with which a tyre is made is necessary.
There are three compounds of the tyre.
• Soft Compound Tyres – These tyres come with amazing grip due to the soft compounds it has. These come with some or no treads and that’s why they are not suitable for the rainy season or slippery roads.
• Hard Compound Tyres- As it is said with the name hard compound tyres are rough and tough, which means that these can be used anywhere besides the race tracks. The number of treads in them is high and they have a high load-bearing capacity.
• Dual compound Tyres- Theses are a combination of both soft and hard compound tyres. Treads and the main width of the tyre are made up of the hard compound on the sidewalls whereas the rims are of soft compound.
2. Treads –
Treads are important because these are solely required to provide proper grip to the tyre. Different types of the tyre have different treads. There are absolutely no treads on slicks, few of them are present on Hypersports and they are in good number on dirt bikes. They are required to hold the bike to the ground and keep it intact for rainy reasons. So you need to be extra conscious with treads when you buy a tyre.
3. Size –
A tyre comes in different sizes. With sizes comes the features, but always remember the bigger the tyre- bigger will be the rolling resistance. Hence, it always advised referring the user manual for bike tyres’ size so that it doesn’t give an extra load to the engine, decreasing its capacity.
4. Carcass- A tyre has an inner skeleton which bears about 80% of the load a bike undergoes. As mentioned above these are either radial or bias. Power transmission does not take place properly in bias type tyre, which leads to slippage. The better alternative is the radial tyre which not only prevents slippage but is more efficient.
Apart from choosing tyres, there are things you need to keep with yourself which will act as a saviour in your tough times. One such accessory are frame guards, bash plates and engine skirts. Bash plates are fixed underside of a vehicle so that they aren’t damaged while travelling.
Toolkits and basic knowledge of mechanics is a must. While travelling it is very important to keep a handy kit with you, tyre pressure gauges play a chief role in the better functioning of your bike’s tyres and to know if they are in a good condition or not.
Travelling has various aspects linked to it and accessories play an important role. Givi bags helps to keep all the required things in a place so that you don’t have to search for things in the time of difficulty. Keep them equipped with all the essential things that you might need while out on the road.
Have a safe journey, with all the precautions you should take care of. Though many aids are available our safety lies in our own hands. So, choose wisely and act smartly!