You recently bought a new KTM bike, and it is only natural that you want to learn everything about maintaining your new motorcycle. If you are looking for tips to maximize the vehicle’s lifespan, your primary concern should be taking care of the engine.
The logic is simple – a motorcycle cannot perform without a working engine. If the performance of the engine compromises, it reflects the entire vehicle. In this article, we are focusing on the KTM brand and how to improve engine life in their motorcycles.
Using the Right Engine Oil
First of all, it is important to use the right engine oil. Apart from choosing a high-quality engine oil, it must fit your motorcycle. For example, if you own KTM 300 Exc, the oil should be suitable for your unit. You can ask a local mechanic that you trust or contact the manufacturer to ask for the right type of oil to use. Additionally, don’t forget to check out the product manual as it might contain details on the topic.
Experts suggest changing the engine oil after crossing 3,000 miles. Alternatively, you should change the oil if it has been six months since the last replacement.
Here is why changing the oil regularly is important:
- It has lubricative properties and ensures the engine runs smoothly.
- It will help to reduce the noise engine makes.
- It helps to keep engine components cool.
- It acts as a piston seal.
When choosing, it is vital to go with oil that has optimal thickness. It should be thick enough to enter the components to lubricate them.
Maintaining the Air Filters
Air filters are essential to ensure optimal breathing of your motorcycle. If you want to keep optimal performance of the engine, it is vital to keep your air filters clean. Dirt and dust are the biggest enemies of these filters. If they cause clogging, engine will lose power, and your bike’s performance will deteriorate.
It might be inconvenient that you need to detach the filters to check if they are clogged. You should do that each time you pass around 6,000 miles. Keep in mind that cleaning should be done more often if you ride your bike on a dirt surface every day. Otherwise, you risk dust and dirt to enter the engine and affect its performance and longevity.
Apart from cleaning the filters, you will need to replace them occasionally. If you notice that their condition is bad, it is time for a replacement. Adventure Bike Australia offers filters for various bike types and models.
You love how your new KTM 790 Adventure looks, and that is understandable because the motorcycle offers a unique mixture of beauty and elegance. But if you are a fan of off-road riding, the chances are the bike will get dirty quickly.
If you want to keep your bike running smoothly, it is vital to clean it regularly. Not only you disrespect your vehicle by allowing it to stay dirty for a long time, but you can also compromise its performance. Experienced users indicate that keeping your motorcycle clean is your primary concern to maximize the vehicle’s longevity.
Not cleaning your bike can lead to dirt, dust, and other debris getting everywhere, and that includes the engine. That affects the performance and promotes rust and corrosion, which can shorten the motorcycle’s lifespan.
It is vital to use pressure washing to clean your motorcycle once a month, or more frequently if necessary. Additionally, wipe it down yourself whenever you return from an off-road ride or every several days.
Using Coolants for Your Bike
The task of coolant is to prevent your engine from overheating. That might happen if you put the engine under too much stress, especially if it is already hot outside. Overheating can cause significant engine damage, which makes this accessory essential for improving its life.
If you are looking for a motorcycle coolant, these are the factors to consider:
- Ready-mixed – it doesn’t only save the time and effort you spent on mixing the coolant with water. Additionally, manufacturers usually use non-ionized water. Unlike tap water, it is mineral-free and ensures that there is no risk of limescale and corrosion caused by minerals.
- Longevity – you want a coolant that lasts for a long time, so consider getting big packs.
- Corrosion resistance – the problem with coolants is that they might cause corrosion. That is why the manufacturers add corrosion-resistant components to ensure your engine remains intact.
- Resistance to heat and cold – the primary task of the coolant is to transfer the heat away from the engine. A coolant with a 250F or higher boiling point should do the trick during hot days. But the task of coolant is to protect your engine in cold climates, too. That is why you should look for items that offer antifreeze protection with a rating of at least -24F.
The good news is that it is fairly easy to find KTM parts online, and that includes additional accessories like engine coolants.
Another way to improve the engine life of KTM motorcycles is engine retardation. That involves retarding the timing so that the engine can perform at its best without damaging itself while doing so.
It might be hard to understand if you are not a professional, and the term is both blunt and vague. Retarding an engine means that you adjusted its ability to optimize driving force in a way that suits you or your device.
When choosing the retarding timing, it is vital to identify the right moment. The plug will fire later in the compression stroke, but you don’t want the spark to be too late. If that happens, you might lose power, which will compromise the performance of your product. Modern engines allow you to use the computer to adjust their ignition timing.
Some other tips to improve the engine life of KTM include:
- Always use high-quality fuel for your motorcycle.
- Regularly check and change brake and other fluids to optimize performance.
- Inspect the motorcycle chain regularly, and make sure to perform any adjustments if necessary.
- Spark plugs should be clean and corrosion-free.
We won’t lie to you – it might take a bit of effort to maintain and improve a KTM motorcycle engine. However, it will return by exceeding performance expectations and working like a charm for a long time.